PUREMIX How To Listen SSL Compressor Edition TUTORIAL
Size 841 Mb
How To Listen: SSL Compressor Edition
In the latest edition to our How To Listen series, award-winning engineer Fab Dupont explains one of the most famous compressors of all time, the SSL Bus Compressor.
Known for it’s predestined use on the 2 bus of SSL consoles, it was quickly revered by many engineers as the secret glue for mixes. Fast forward 30 years, and there is a myriad of emulations in both the hardware and software domains, and it continues to find it’s way on to countless productions.
In this tutorial, Fab explains:
- The controls of the SSL Buss Compressor
- What an I/O Loop Insert is so that you can hear the tonal impact of going through converters when using hardware inserts
- How to calibrate levels when using external hardware for a fair level matched comparison
- The effect of Pan Law
- Multiple styles of compression on the 2 Bus, Drum Bus, and Synth Bass, giving you a wide range of options with one compressor.
- How to listen to the differences between the hardware and different software emulations.
After you have seen the video, download the presets Fab creates in the video and the example files to put what Fab taught you to use.
Learn how to get the most out of one of the most coveted compressors in history, from Fab Dupont. Only on pureMix.net
Equipment & Software
UAD SSL G Bus Compressor
Solid State Logic XLogic G Series Compressor